Well, I never heard it before, but it sounds uncommon nonsense.

-The Mock Turtle

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Coraline

So I finished Neil Gaiman's novella Coraline at 10:03 a.m. today. The time really isn't important, I'm just putting it in here because I know the exact time and I find that intriguing. I'm not sure what I like better, the movie or the book. The movie was much more colorful [Coraline had blue hair!], and the other mother seemed to take more time to get Coraline to like her. The book, however was much deeper, and Coraline actually worked out in words that getting everything you want is boring. The game she played with the other mother in the book was more frightening, I think, than the game in the movie. My one problem with the book was the fact that the other mother created a "better" world for Coraline, but once Coraline got there, it seemed like she didn't try to impress or please her. In the movie she had Coraline coming back again and again, even wanting to become a part of the other world for a little while. But in the book Coraline didn't want to have anything to do with it; she found it interesting but she wanted to go home. The cat was just as amazing in the book as he was in the movie, I was thrilled about that. And though I liked Wybie, he would have been totally unnecessary in the book so I'm glad he was just a movie addition. And the corridor was a lot freakier in the book than the movie. I think hidden things that you never see and never find out what they are are deliciously terrifying.

No comments: